Why Use an Anchor Bridle/Snubber System?
- Bridle takes the strain of the chain rode, thus offloading the gypsy on the windlass and reduces the stress on the windlass deck joint.
- Allow the load to be taken by the cleats that are designed for high loads
- Reduces the wear on the boat, with all the load on the cleats via the bridle, there is no noise, no chain jerking and snagging on the foredeck.
- If the bridle is long enough/and or has enough stretch it can absorb the shock loads from waves and wind gusts
- With the long bridle the chain is lowered below the waterline and offers better effective scope and additional shock absorption
- It has been suggested by some that when using all chain rode the catenary effect from the sagging chain from its weight will provide sufficient shock absorption. While this might be true for large ships, on average size cruising vessel the catenary effect from the chain does not provide any significant shock absorption, one only has to look at the chain shape under water in a 25 knot breeze to see that the catenary effect is no longer a factor because the chain is oriented in a straight line.
So more simply said the bridle ensures that you anchor has the highest chance of staying put and your boat staying intact.
There are different ways of attaching the bridle to your chain:
We designed the Mantus Chain Hook, with these considerations:
- The hook needs to have no moving parts, thus can withstand harsh marine environment
- Is easy to use i.e can be quickly attached and/or removed, yet still be a reliable attachment and positively lock onto the chain without the fear of it falling off.
- The chain grabber needs to be safe, designed to be as strong as high test chain. It is hard to find gear that matches the strength of the hi-test chain, as one finds out trying to size a shackle or a swivel to match the working limit loads of the hi test chain.
Mantus Bridle Line Sizing Recommendations:
The role of the bridle/snubber system is to be able to absorb the shock loads by stretching and yet be strong enough not to fail when exposed to these high loads conditions. Thus we make sizing recommendations keeping this in mind.
|Boat Size||30 – 40 feet||40 – 50 feet||50 -70 feet|
|Line Diameter (inches)||5/8||3/4||1|
|Bridle Length feet||25||30||34|
Effort should be made to protect snubber/bridle line from chafe and inspect it for wear regularly.